About The Church
All Saints is a delightful country church serving a widespread community.
The flint and rendered building dates back to Norman times with an unusual round tower which is more Romanesque in design. The tower has large buttresses on the outside a characteristic found on only one other round tower church in Suffolk. It is, perhaps, these buttresses which make the tower appear oval, although it is round on the inside.
In the first half of the 19th century, All Saints was a derelict ruin. The church had fallen out of use and the buildings left to decay. The original thatched roof had rotted away and the nave was open to the sky.
Restoration began in the 1950’s with the addition of a new tiled roof and porch.
Inside the church is light and airy with rows of wooden box pews and a brick floor leading to the altar. There is a two tier pulpit and a lovely stone medieval font. The Norman door leading into the tower is all that remains inside of the original building.
Outside the churchyard is delightful. It is a haven of peace and tranquility and in late spring and summer is adorned with a variety of flowers including poppies, daisies and valerian.
There are some interesting gravestones dating back to the 18th Century; some of the most notable belong to the Waller family and are interestingly adorned with skulls and crossed bones.
The views from the churchyard extend to the banks of the river Deben and beyond. There is no better spot to sit, contemplate and watch the sun set over the water.